Chrysler Building is located on East Side of Midtown Manhattan, New York City.It is situated at the intersection of 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue in Turtle Bay neighbourhood. It is iconic and historic significance of Art Deco Era and automobile age. It can be significantly seen from the entire city because of its shinning peak.
It is third largest tower in New York City after The Empire State Building and Woolworth Building. It is 77 storey skyscraper approximately 1,046 feet tall (319 meters). It was the tallest structure of the world between 1930 and 1931. It was surpassed by Empire State Building and preceded by The Trump Building. Before Chrysler Building, Eiffel Tower was the tallest Tower in the world. It is the tallest brick building in the world.
History of Chrysler Building
It started the construction of Chrysler Building on 19th September, 1928 and got completed by 28th May, 1930.
In 1911 when Dreamland got collapsed, William Reynolds decided to enter to the league of “The Tallest Buildings in World”. William Reynolds was a real estate developer in Brooklyn, New York. So he commission architect William Van Alen to build Chrysler Building. But sadly architect William Van Alen was never paid.
It was basically build as a headquarters of Chrysler Co-operation for car company. It was maintained for 20 years from 1930 to mid 1950. The name of this building is because Walter Chrysler paid the bill of its construction and not because of the business.
Chrysler Building was having a race with The Empire State Building for being the tallest building in the world. Chrysler grapped the title of The Tallest Building by erecting 27 ton spire on the top of it. And it took around 90 minutes to erect that. But Chrysler Building couldn’t hold that title for more than 12 months.
- The Cloud Club,private gentlemen’s club was once through 66th floor to 68th floor. Later, it got closed in 1970 during recession.
- In 1970, during recession only 17% of the headquarter was occupied.
- Chrysler Building has seen many different owners from its existence.
- The entire building is made by 20,961 tons of structured steel,3,826,000 bricks and 400,000 rivets all laid by hand.
- Chrysler Building consists of 10,000 light bulbs and have pineapples, eagle head and automobile related designs.
- There are 3,862 windows which beautifies the building.
- No worker died during its construction though the project was frantic.
- The admission to Chrysler building is free of cost but visit to lobby is permitted.
- The eagles are graced at the 61st floor, replicas of the 1929 Chrysler radiator caps adorn the 31st floor.
- More tha 750 miles of electrical conductor wires are used in the entire building which is equivalent to the distance between New York City and Chicago.
- It has declared itself as The National Historic Landmark since 1976.
- The highest floor occupied is 71st floor above which rest of the floors are designed for external beauty.
I hope you will be amazed to know such amazing and interesting facts and figures of Chrysler Building. It is the major reason for tourist attractions in the city. Though it is a tourist place, the only area available for visit is the lobby. The admission time is from 9 a.m to 5 p.m
Something Wrong Please Contact to Davsy Admin